Holodomor Awareness Week
National Holodomor Awareness Week 2016
November 21 – 27, 2016
National Holodomor Memorial Day
Saturday, November 26, 2016
The Ukrainian Canadian Congress is launching the ninth annual National Holodomor Awareness Week November 21-27, 2016 to commemorate the 83rd anniversary of the Holodomor – Famine Genocide of 1932-33.
As we gather this year to pray for the victims of the Famine Genocide in Ukraine, let us also remember the victims of today’s Russian aggression against Ukraine, including the lives that have been sacrificed for the right of every Ukrainian to live in freedom with dignity on Ukrainian soil on which rule of law prevails and fundamental human rights are respected.
Holodomor National Awareness Tour Bus at St Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church
Holodomor National Awareness Tour Bus at St Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church
Dec 3 – Dec 4 all-day
Sat. Dec 3 – 10 am – 5 pm & Sun. Dec 4 – 10 am – 2 pm We invite everyone to visit the Holodomor National Awareness Tour Bus at St Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church, 300 River[...]
Holodomor/125th Anniversary of Ukrainian Canadians: Rama Golden Jets
Saturday, November 19, 2016, 5 PM
St. Anthony’s Parish Hall, Rama
The Living (Живі): Film Night – USUSA/PCUH
Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 7-9 PM
Father O’Donnell Auditorium (STM College, U of S Campus), Saskatoon
Holodomor Awareness Vigil: USUSA/PCUH
Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:30 PM
Lesya Ukrainka Statue NW of Murray Library, U of S Campus, Saskatoon
Holodomor: Divine Liturgy with Panakhyda (Memorial) Service
Saturday, November 26, 2016, 9 AM
St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church (155 Catherine St), Yorkton
Holodomor: Panakhyda (Memorial) Service during Divine Liturgy
Sunday, November 27, 2016, 9:15 AM
St. Basil the Great Ukrainian Catholic Church (1747 Toronto St), Regina
National Holodomor Awareness Week Events
International Holodomor Memorial Day: Saturday, November 26
Let us remember together. On Saturday, November 26 we encourage all Canadians to take a moment to remember the victims:
- At 19:32 (7:32 p.m.) local time pause for a moment of silence wherever one may be to honour the memory of the victims.
- Light a candle of remembrance in one’s home.
- Post photos of your candles on social media with your thoughts of remembrance.
- Request local churches to toll their bells ten times at 19:32 in honour of the victims.
On Sunday, November 27:
- Memorial services will be celebrated in Ukrainian parishes.
We encourage our communities to incorporate the following components into their local programs for national continuity.
- Honoring survivors – We honour the survivors among us and include them in commemorations. We encourage survivors to share their story with our children, youth, the community, Canadians and the media. We also emphasize the need to include the descendants of survivors in our events. They are key to ensuring that the stories live on.
Share the Story – Please remember that we have two web sites that feature the poignant testimonies of Holodomor survivors. Please use these clips, which are available with English subtitles, during your commemorations.
We also encourage all of our member organizations to promote the sites by sharing the links on your organizational sites. The two sites are:
- Installation of black flags – We ask that you continue with the black flag installations. It is proposed that every city set up a display of 33 black flags along with one Ukrainian flag in a high traffic area for the week. Alternatively, indoor installations can also be prepared for use in government buildings and schools.
- Reading names of victims – We continue to personalize this horrific crime by remembering individuals by name. The names of victims should be read, including the village in which they resided and the age at which they perished.
A comprehensive list of resources has been made available by the UCC National Holodomor Education Committee. http://www.ucc.ca/programs/committees/national-holodomor-education/holodomor-education-resources/
- Please also see the Committee’s resources available for Holodomor Memorial Day on the fourth Friday of November.
We have a wealth of Canadian-produced resources on the Holodomor due to the tireless efforts of our Canadian institutions and organizations. Please visit the web sites of:
Holodomor Research and Education Consortium
Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre
Children of Holodomor Survivors Speak Project
Ucrainica Research Institute and League of Ukrainian Canadians
People of Truth: In addition to the Holodomor resources available to us in Canada, please visit the web site of the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance for additional resources. We draw your attention specifically to a series of posters that was produced for the 2015 commemorations – People of Truth, that highlights individuals who tried to reveal the truth of the Holodomor to the world. The series is available for downloading at the links provided. Please note, however, that the posters include the date of Holodomor Memorial Day in 2015, not 2016.
Holodomor National Awareness Tour
The Canada Ukraine Foundation (CUF) with its partners, Ukrainian Canadian Congress, The Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre and Holodomor Research and Education Consortium, has fully launched the Holodomor National Awareness Tour including the Holodomor Mobile Classroom.
Many across Canada have now had the opportunity to experience the project which has received financial support from the Government of Canada and the provincial governments of Ontario and Manitoba to date.
We encourage all communities to take full advantage of the benefits of this Mobile Classroom for educational purposes as well as for enhancing community outreach.
More information on this project is available on the project web site www.holodomortour.ca.
The UCC National Holodomor Awareness Committee continues to raise funds for continuing awareness campaigns and educational initiatives.
We continue to distribute the awareness ribbon car magnet across the country. They are to be handed out as a thank you for a minimum $5 donation in support of UCC Holodomor Awareness initiatives.
The magnets can be ordered by contacting the UCC Head Office email@example.com.
Ukraine remembers – the World Acknowledges
All Postings in the Category “Holodomor”
- Holodomor Commemorated on Parliament Hill November 30, 2016
- Children of Holodomor Survivors Speak November 27, 2016
- Holodomor Awareness in Canada’s Capital Ottawa – November 24, 2016 SUSK uOttawa Press Release November 27, 2016
- Statements by PMO and Official Opposition on Holodomor National Awareness Week November 26, 2016
- Commemorate November 25th as ‘Holodomor Memorial Day’ November 24, 2016
- Ukrainian Canadian Congress Launches Holodomor Awareness Week November 22, 2016
- Ukrainian Students’ Club commemorate the Holodomor December 11, 2015
- Statement by the Official Opposition and the Conservative Party of Canada at Commemoration of the Holodomor in Parliament December 11, 2015
- HOLODOMOR COMMEMORATED ON PARLIAMENT HILL – National Holodomor Awareness Tour Inaugurated on Parliament Hill December 9, 2015
- HISTORIAN TYMOTHY SNYDER DELIVERS 18TH TORONTO ANNUAL UKRAINIAN FAMINE LECTURE November 30, 2015
- В Лондоні презентували дослідження про Голодомор November 29, 2015
- Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on Holodomor Memorial Day November 29, 2015
- UCC Saskatchewan e-Bulletin for 2015 November 27 November 29, 2015
- UCC President’s Statement on the 82nd Anniversary of the Holodomor November 28, 2015
- Statement by Minister Joly Commemorating the Holodomor November 27, 2015
- SENATOR ANDREYCHUK MARKS UKRAINIAN FAMINE-GENOCIDE (“HOLODOMOR”) MEMORIAL DAY November 27, 2015
- Let us remember on National Holodomor Memorial Day November 28 – Canadians mark the 82nd anniversary of the Ukrainian Genocide November 27, 2015
- The Holodomor: Why the West must push back against Putin’s version of history [The Globe and Mail] November 24, 2015
- Yvan Baker, MPP invites you to join him in a Holodomor Commemoration at Queen’s Park November 23, 2015
- Ukrainian Canadian Congress launches National Holodomor Awareness Week 2015 November 23, 2015
- UCC Hamilton Branch recognizes Holodomor Awareness Week [Stoney Creek News] November 19, 2015
- TORONTO SYMPOSIUM EXAMINES THE HOLODOMOR IN COMPARATIVE PERSPECTIVE November 18, 2015
- Notice to Community – Unveiling of Holodomor Monument in Washington and Related Activities November 3, 2015
- National Holodomor Awareness Week 2015: November 23 – 29 September 8, 2015
- Ontario Invests in Education About the Holodomor July 7, 2015
- UCC DELEGATION CONCLUDES VISIT TO REGINA PARTICIPATES IN HOLODOMOR MONUMENT COMMEMORATION May 15, 2015
- USC uOttawa “Holodomor: Ukraine’s Genocide” Movie Screening April 21, 2015
- Jars Balan on CBC radio February 11, 2015
- Ukrainian Canadian Community Welcomes Federal $1.5M Funding For Holodomor Awareness Project January 13, 2015
- Article: “Holodomor Film Good for Schools” [New Pathway] December 1, 2014
Displaying 30 most recent posts.
For all posts in the category “Holodomor”, please visit http://www.ucc.ca/category/holodomor/