Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement announcing additional economic sanctions and travel bans against three Russian individuals, and economic sanctions against 14 Russian entities, as well as an import/export ban covering illegally-occupied Crimea:
“Until there is real peace, until occupying forces are withdrawn, and until Ukraine’s territorial sovereignty is restored, there must be ongoing consequences for President Putin’s regime.
“Our Government is therefore announcing additional sanctions and travel bans against Russian individuals, and economic sanctions against Russian entities, as well as a Crimean import/export ban.
“These further sanctions are being taken in coordination with our partners.
“We stand with our partners in calling on President Putin to end his invasion of Eastern Ukraine, to withdraw his soldiers, tanks and heavy weapons, and to cease providing military aid to insurgents.
“We support current efforts for a diplomatic solution and call for Russia and its proxies to fully implement their commitments under the Minsk agreements.”
Expanded Sanctions List
Canada is imposing economic sanctions and travel bans against the following Russian individuals, and economic sanctions against the following Russian entities, as well as a Crimean import/export ban:
- Aleksandr Dugin – a leader of the Eurasian Youth Union
- Pavel Kanishchev – a leader of the Eurasian Youth Union
- Andrey Kovalenko – a leader of the Eurasian Youth Union
- Eurasian Youth Union – separatist group
- Marshall Capital Fund – investment company
- Night Wolves motorcycle club – biker gang
Entities – Defence sector
- JSC United Aircraft Corporation – aerospace/defence sector
Subsidiaries of Defence Company Rostec:
- JSC Sirius
- JSC Tula Arms Plant
- OAO JSC Chemcomposite
- OAO Wysokototschnye Kompletksi
- OJSC Stankoinstrument
- OPK Oboronprom
Entities – Energy sector
- OJSC Gazprom
- OJSC Gazprom Neft
- OJSC Surgutneftegas
- Transneft OAO
Crimean Import/Export Ban
- Sanctions related to the Crimea region of Ukraine include: a ban on the import and export of goods; a prohibition on investment; a prohibition on the provision or acquisition of financial or other related services and on the transfer, provision or communication of technical data or services; a prohibition on the provision or acquisition of financial and other services related to tourism; and a prohibition on the docking of cruise ships.