National Holodomor Awareness Week
November 18, 2019. OTTAWA. The Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) launches the annual National Holodomor Awareness Week – November 18-24 – to commemorate the 86th anniversary of the Holodomor Famine-Genocide of 1932-33.
During Holodomor Awareness Week, we gather in our communities to pay tribute to the millions of victims of the Holodomor in Ukraine. As we gather this year in remembrance, we pray for the souls of the victims of the Holodomor. We pray for the good health of the survivors among us and their families who, by sharing their stories, continue to educate and unite us in our mission to raise awareness of the Holodomor.
We pray for the Ukrainian people who continue to defend the territory of Ukraine from Russia’s aggression and protect the right of every Ukrainian to live with dignity on Ukrainian soil where fundamental human rights and freedoms are respected.
Commemorative events are being held in communities across Canada. To find events in your community please click here:
Holodomor Commemoration Events – 2019
If there is an event taking place in your community that we have not listed, please contact the UCC at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Holodomor Memorial Day is Saturday, November 23.
On Saturday, November 23 we encourage all Canadians to take a moment to remember the victims of the Holodomor:
- At 19:32 (7:32 p.m.) local time pause for a moment of silence wherever one may be to honour the memory of the victims of the Holodomor.
- Light a candle of remembrance in one’s home.
- Post photos of your candles on social media with your thoughts of remembrance.
- Request local churches to toll their bells at 19:32 in honour of the victims.
- Join commemorations in your local community.
Ukraine Remembers. The World Acknowledges.
Україна пам’ятає. Світ визнає.