Delegates set priorities, elect leadership of UCC
October 31, 2022. The historic XXVII Triennial Congress of Ukrainian Canadians concluded yesterday in Winnipeg, MB. The delegates set the priorities and elected the leadership of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress for the next three years. The Congress was attended by over 400 delegates and guests.
The theme of the Congress – Stronger Together – В Єдності Сила – Tous ensemble – set the stage for three days of deliberations, workshops and discussions that developed the policy directions for the UCC for the next three years. The Triennial Congress unanimously re-elected Alexandra Chyczij as National President for a second term.
“A dynamic and energetic Triennial Congress set the direction for the UCC for the next three years. We will continue to prioritise support for Ukraine and the Ukrainian people in the heroic defence of their country and freedom in Europe,” stated President Chyczij. “I am honoured by the trust placed in me by the Triennial Congress to serve a second term as President. I look forward to working with the new Board of Directors in serving our community. We have much work ahead of us, and I’m certain that together we will make the vision of the Triennial Congress a reality!”
The Triennial Congress welcomed many eminent guests, including:
- Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada,
- Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister,
- Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence,
- Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of International Development,
- Honourable Dan Vandal, Minister of Northern Affairs,
- James Bezan, MP, Selkirk Interlake Eastman, spoke on behalf of the Leader of the Opposition the Honourable Pierre Poilievre
- The Honourable Heather Stefanson, Premier of Manitoba;
- Scott Gillingham, Mayor-elect of Winnipeg.
- Her Excellency Larisa Galadza, Ambassador of Canada to Ukraine
- First Lady of Ukraine Olena Zelenska (by video)
- Minister of Defence Oleksiy Reznikov (by video)
- Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba (by video)
- Her Excellency Yuliya Kovaliv, Ambassador of Ukraine to Canada
On Saturday, at the UCC Awards Banquet, the XXVII Congress honoured the recipients of the Shevchenko Medal, the UCC National Leadership Award and the UCC National Youth Leadership Award.
Following the conclusion of the Congress, a delegation of the UCC visited the Taras Shevchenko Monument to pay tribute to Ukraine’s Bard.
A full recap of the work of the XXVII Triennial Congress will be published in the coming days.