March 21, 2023. The Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) urges the Government of Canada to continue support for Ukraine and the Ukrainian people in Federal Budget 2023.
“The Ukrainian people are courageously defending their country and freedom in Europe from Russia’s genocidal onslaught,” stated Alexandra Chyczij, National President of the UCC. “We are grateful for the support that Canada and our allies have provided to date but now is the time to accelerate economic and military support so that Ukraine’s Armed Forces can win the war. This will not only save Ukrainian lives, it will alleviate economic and food insecurity. Together, let us ensure that 2023 is the year of Ukraine’s Victory.”
In submissions to the Minister of Finance on Budget 2023, the UCC called on the Government of Canada to allocate funding in Budget 2023 to:
- Ensure the provision of fighter aircraft, air and naval defence systems, tanks, and heavy weapons to Ukraine;
- Support economic stabilization and reconstruction of vital infrastructure in Ukraine;
- Ensure effective enforcement of Canadian sanctions that target Russia;
- Support Canada’s participation in the investigation and prosecution of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide on the territory of Ukraine;
- Provide sustained support for displaced Ukrainians taking refuge in Canada.
The Brief submitted by the UCC to the Department of Finance is available here: