City of Residence: St. Catharines, ON
Born August 7, 1927 in Korchmyn, Ukraine, Mary, her mother, Matrona and her older brother, John, emigrated to Kingston, Ontario to join their father/husband, Hryhorij in 1937. After completing elementary and secondary schooling in Kingston, Mary completed the R.N. nursing program at the Ontario Hospital in Long Branch, Ontario. She worked as a nurse at the Ontario Hospital in Kingston, the Halifax General Hosptial and the St. Catharines General Hospital. Mary met the love of her life, Benjamin Walter Doliszny, in June, 1946, while attending a Ukrainian Language Course in Winnipeg. They married September 16, 1950. In addition to being a loving and devoted wife to Ben, she was a caring and loving mama to Bonnie, Kathie (Dr. Stephen Archer) and Greg (Julie) and loving baba to Malanka, Eta, Ben, Matthew, Thomas, Anya and Luke. She was a considerate and generous sister/sister-in-law to John (Lucia), Peter (Judy) and Patricia Kuchar. She was a beloved tsiotsia/teta to eight nieces and nephews. Mary was predeceased by her parents and brother, John. Mary was actively involved in the Ukrainian Catholic Church. A long-time member of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church in St. Catharines, she held numerous executive positions in the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada (UCWLC) at the local and national levels. She was National President of the UCWLC between 1980 and 1983. She was also a member of the World Federation of Ukrainian Women’s Organizations and was Treasurer General of the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organizations for ten years. Her involvement as a volunteer in these organizations reflected her love of her homeland and Church and took her to conferences/meetings around the world including Australia, Mexico, Europe and Africa. She was awarded the Pro Ecclesia it Pontifice medal by Pope John Paul II, as well as the Shevchenko Medal. She was fiercely proud of her Ukrainian heritage and, to this end, opened a shop, “Ukrainian Treasures” on Vine Street, in St. Catharines, in 1980. She supplied “all things Ukrainian” to the Niagara Region and Western New York. We will miss our baba, but are comforted to know that she has gone to a place where she will find peace. Vichnaya Pam’iat.