September 21, 2022. OTTAWA, ON. The Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) is grateful to all Canadians for their strong and unequivocal support of Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.
An overwhelming majority of Canadians believe the Canadian Government should continue to support Ukraine and expect their Government to take tougher action on Russia, a survey commissioned by the UCC and conducted by Abacus Data on September 9-14 found.
“We call on the Government of Canada to substantially increase support for Ukraine and take stronger measures against Russia. As Members of Parliament return to Ottawa for the fall session – the clear and principled position of the Canadian people provides a blueprint for the government’s further action in support of Ukraine,” stated Alexandra Chyczij, National President of the UCC. “The Ukrainian people are bravely defending their country and freedom in Europe, and our government must demonstrate that they can continue to count on Canada by providing more military support to Ukraine, banning Russian tourist and business visas, and expelling the Russian embassy staff from Canada.”
Among the key findings of the Survey:
- 4 in 5 Canadians (80%) agree that Canada should continue to support Ukraine; only 12% disagree;
- 7 in 10 Canadians (71%) agree that the Government needs to get tougher on Russia; only 16% disagree;
- 3 in 5 Canadians (59%) agree that the Government of Canada needs to be doing more to support Ukraine, only 26% disagree;
- 4 in 5 Canadians (84%) support (55%) or can accept (29%) providing Ukraine more weapons with which to defend itself;
- 4 in 5 Canadians (83%) support (57%) or can accept (26%) banning Russian tourist and business visas;
- 4 in 5 Canadians (81%) support (52%) or can accept (29%) expelling Russian embassy staff from Canada.